New Hill Burying Ground ~
later expanded as Highland Cemetery
© 2006 Bright iDear
| Old Hill Burying Ground and
New Hill Burying Ground together comprise several acres of public burial
grounds within the bounds of the Waterside community. Old Hill was set
off as a burial site a handful of years after the Waterside Third Parish
of Newbury was organized in 1725, twice expanding its bounds to encompass
a triagular gore of hilly terrain now bounded northly by Greenleaf Streets
and the Bartlet Mall, westerly by Auburn Street and easterly by Pond Street.
The latter street divides Old Hill Burying Ground from New Hill Burying
[View Mapquest link without. Shaded light green on the map, Old Hill Burying Ground is the portion of land directly to the south of Bartlet Mall. (Note Bartlet Mall is misspelled on map.) New Hill Burying Ground AKA Highland Cemetery is to the east of Pond Street, on Hill Street (once West India Lane).]
|Come to know more about those interred at New Hill Burying Ground (AKA Highland Cemetery) at this link without ~ a Web page on the gravematter.com Website.|
in what was by then the town of Newburyport (the Waterside Third Parish
having separated from Newbury in 1764), a committee was appointed to find
suitable land for expanded burial grounds. By that time, the town records
no longer applied the unique provincial orthography "Comity"
to reference 2-person "committee" which was formed in 1729.
The 1799 committee would be more than twice as large as the "Comity"
seventy years before. The 1729 two-person "Comity" would select
locations for both a school and burial place to present to town meeting
in 3 months. The 1799 five-person commitee was given a year to complete
8, 1800, it was voted that "the Treasurer be hereby authorized
to purshase of William Coffin Little five acres of land for a Burying
ground not to exceed --- and receive a deed of it." Forthwith, the
conveyance if said deed, dated July 29, 1800 was recorded in book 167,
page 21 of the Essex Registry of Deeds, describing the land as four
acres and 137 and 3/10 rods of land.
 In the description of the bounds, it is apparent that the land was already in use as a burial ground well before this transaction, and well before the incorporation of the town of Newburyport itself. Currier's describes that the earliest gravestone then standing was dated January 30, 1735, and the next oldest was dated sometime in 1739. (This but a decade after the Waterside Third Parish of Newbury was formed and Old Hill was first set off as a burying ground.) However, from the names on the gravestones, it was evident that these were Little and Coffin family burial plots. On March 26, 1801 the town selectment leased about four acres of the burial ground to Moses Hoyt, provided that he plow up at least one acre per year and on or before the termination of the three-year lease he lay the whole four acres down as grass.